The last day to submit a video reassessment will be Friday May 8th.
Here is the Glowscript model I created in class – http://www.glowscript.org/#/user/rhettallain/folder/phys221/program/collisions
You should play with this. Consider the following questions.
- What happens if you change the mass?
- Is kinetic energy conserved?
- What if both masses start off moving?
- Can you change the force in any way? What if you make it stronger or weaker?
- What if you make the force proportional to one over the separation distance instead of one over the distance squared?
- When you give the ball 1 a starting position not on the x-axis, is momentum conserved? Is momentum conserved in the y-direction?
- Can you change the force in a way such that the momentum is conserved but not the kinetic energy (I admit this is tough – you will have to be creative to get this to work).
- Can you change the force in such a way that momentum is not conserved?
- What if there is an external gravitational force? Would momentum be conserved? What about a plot of the motion of the center of mass?